Sunday, September 08, 2013

Warning: animals were harmed in the making of this blog

I had a very busy day in the yard today. I've been meaning to get rid of the final two vibernum bushes for some time now but keep finding excuses not to. That was until today. I took them down and dug them up and packed them into six garden bags and they are now gone.


I hope to have the rest of the border on this side of the yard filled with flowers next year. Already, it makes the yard look huge. It is a little disconcerting to see the neighbor's shit-bucket and grill but it will all grow in quick enough.
 On a more exciting, in a Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom sort of way, I saw our first praying mantis in the yard. My wife found it as it was making a lot of noise trying to eat a cicada. Actually, it was the cicada making all the noise. The cicada got away but the preying mantis stayed behind. He
It was very photogenic and even caught one of our bumble bees to munch on. It was wild to watch as it ripped off the back part of its body, discarding the stinger and then started munching on the rest. 



No comments: